Joining Starcade Gaming
Who or what we are and are we the right clan for you ?
Before applying, there are some facts you should know about Starcade Gaming.
1) Our organization is a hybrid between clan and community that values social aspect as much as the gaming aspect.
We have our own chat channels on a platform called IRC RELAY CHAT (short: IRC) which is a text conferencing platform.
On these channels we gather up, hang out and socialize. The main channel is #starcade. This channel is easily joined
from the webchat button on top of our website. More about this in Section 4.
2) We have few rules for membership, but activity is a main factor. As said above, we are a clan/hybrid community.
We see no point in being part of our organization if you are not going to hang out with us and participate in our events.
3) There are a couple of rules in place for joining. They are pretty straight-forward.
- You are 16 or older.
- You were not a former member that was terminated.
- You are not a member of another team involved in the same gaming activities as Starcade Gaming.
If you agree with all the facts, please proceed.
How to apply.
- Visit starcade-gaming.org/index.php/forum/6-join-us
- Create an account
- make a new post using your nickname as subject.
The content of your post should be:
- Bnet nick+ID:
- Bnet profile link:
- Your Age:
- Current 1vs1 Ladder ranking and league:
- In-game Race:
- IRC nickname:
- What do you expect from us:
- What can you contribute to us:
- Small introduction:
Post it and be aware that your post is going live after a moderator has reviewed it.
THIS MEANS YOUR POST WILL NOT SHOW UP RIGHT AWAY. DO NOT REPOST.
Follow this link, and hang with us. See section 4 if you are unsure what to expect there.
Section 3) Trial.
Stuff to do while on trial:
After joining as a trialist, one of our staff members will approach you and explain how the
trial period goes.
Stuff to do while on trial:
- Play games with the members.
- Join tournaments (nearly all of our tournaments are open to the public).
- Hang out on IRC with us.
- Chat with people.
- Post on the forum.
IRC (INTERNET RELAY CHAT).
Our irc channels are the heart of the organization.
For an in-depth guide on irc, see starcade-gaming.org/wk/index.php/IRC
We have one main IRC channel:
It is highly recommended you hang out with us.
for people new to IRC, #starcade can be a daunting place.
Here is a survival guide in the form of a FAQ:
Q: I have joined the IRC channel and have been watching for 4 minutes, and nothing gets said!!
A: Be patient, as with most chat mediums, #starcade has its peak moments.
Eventually something will be said. Initiating contact with a simple greeting gets you far.
For many, IRC is a background process which is periodically checked. You will be noticed.
Q: I have joined, but I don't really know anyone.
A: Neither did 99% of the people chatting there the first time they joined.
Stick around and you'll get to know our colourful individuals.
Q: who are dorothy and ScG^lawrence? They keep saying cryptic thing.
A: Dorothy and Lawrence are automated scripts. Dorothy tracks everything that has been said
Here is a short overview of both.
Dorothy is a bot programmed by ScG^Bronte that logs the channel and uses that information through a complex
algorithm to form sentences. these generated replies get triggered whenever her name is used in a phrase.
She has several public commands, which are documented here:
The most popular command is !map, which generates a random map from the ladder pool.
<dorothy> Picked: Shakuras Plateau hf & gl
This bot is our twitter bot, and broadcasts live updates of certain popular sc2 twitter feeds.
[09:14] <+ScG^Lawrence> GOMTV Can't wait till the Up&Down today? #OfftheRecord with NesTea,
who is playing today, is a great way to kill your time! t.co/ZSNbbk0K Mon May 21 07:09:54 +0000 2012
Q: What do people generally talk about in-channel?
A: Mainly starcraft. But since off-topic discussions are possible, the topics can be very varied, from gym
to other (seasonal) games like Diablo 3, LoL or whatever the flavour of the month is to Sunday afternoon
Q: Are there ground rules ?
A: There are:
- Have respect for everyone.
- Realize that cultures, opinions and ideas of what is funny or not are different.
- X-rated or 18+ links are NOT fine on the channel.
- Basically, use common sense, be respectful of others.
Q: What are the times of activity.
A: Peak times are around 17:00 CEST to 23:30 CEST.
We have a fixed morning crew, but activity is rather low during these hours.